Monday, August 3, 2009

The Complete Opposite: I'm Expecting Different Results





Or doing a 360, what I'm talking about is doing the exact opposite of what I instinctively would do for example: If a family member gets me upset, I would argue with them for a time, then go on a single rant making myself angier and more hot headed.

I dont think I ever developed an "healthy" way of expressing anger or "letting" go of a shitty situation. Taking a walk, or counting to 10 is bullshit. Excuse my language, but its true, when I'm angry I stay angry until something inside of me relaxes and I'm back to my usual jovial self.

Calming myself down doesnt takes long, but it does take a while, and while I'm still stewing, I find that I am more aware of what I'm doing: I get stuff done, if I'm really T- off I beome susie homemaker: bake a roast, cool a pie, and finish dusting all by 5 noon. I clean when I'm angry, but it doesnt help my body cool off, I just find myself not being able to sit calmly.


This post isnt just about emotions, its about making better choices, instead of feeling out of luck maybe I should make better decisions each day, and unknowningly one day soon I'd have the life I pictured: Not perfect, just not a hassle!



So I'm implementing "The Opposite": Like on Seinfeld (no, I'm not a tv head), but I remember watching that episode and agreeing with George: he was annoyed with every aspect of his life: from the thing he couldn't change to the job he had. So he decided to do the complete opposite of what he normally do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Opposite#Plot



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY




Instead of making the same choices resulting in the same outcome: why not switch things up a bit?

Live a little and see how thing goes without the cemented unwritten laws of my world. Well I actually done this before: what? I'm not a loser, but I do like an experiment from time to time:

Besides a life of boring repetition: is not the life for me! I did "The Opposite": for a whole week, it was a control environment (school), but it actually work!


If someone made a smug comment directed towards me I laughed it off and make a joke back: and kept it moving

Then a mindless teacher misplace a two week researched 5 paged essay (I work hard on) and told me they didnt remember me handing my essay in not only that but the "turn-in" date to hand-in the assignment was over. So Shifting to my "Opposite Gear: I simply breathe in deeply and asked for them to look through their stacks of unfinished graded papers.


And so on and so on: I mean you could call this method coping with daily life's hassles: but when your a "George" of this world (like me), you gotta create a break for yourself: it doesnt just happen.

The Outcome:
The Positive:

I had an awesome week, a great experience:

Instead of blowing up on a disrespectful chump, I acted cool and others around me notice my cool air of confidence and came up to me and thought I was interesting and that person whose was rude: was a jack ass: They were shunned

My teacher (the mindless idiot) didn't find my lost paper: so I handed in a different paper (one I was unsure if it I'd get a good grade), and my paper received the highest grade in class: and extra credit since they losted my orignal paper.


What's Irritating
The trick is to actually use it everyday, it's a lifestyle of" Making a choice to have a choice (a better option)": Though I feel "The Opposite" is better tool than the mantra: Being Happy is a Choice (Bullshit)



The Opposite Check List

So if I find myself, Not wanting to get my early morning workout in: I make myself do it: Why? because its the opposite of what I would do: sleep an extra hour or two!

If a family member wants me to babysit: The answer is no: instead of yes

A smug look instead of a grin: Yes I'm a cheeser
I have a whole list of "The Opposite" I'll try In the outside world: to post them all would be a thesis: Besides I'm doing the opposite: Remember? (;


Remember George told the truth when he use to lie about his life to (girlfriends, women, boss): since I don't lie about my life: I guess I can be more mysterious instead of an half open book.


We'll see.......

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete